Friday, September 17, 2010

Violating the Principle of Rational Discussion

I am choosing to discuss begging the question. In ch 11 Epstein states that Begging the question is "The point of an argument is to convince that a claim is true. So the premises of an argument have to be more plausible than the conclusion. " Begging the question means that your first statement has to be true so the argument can be strong and valid. The premises have to be plausible so the conclusion can be true. If the premises are not plausible then the argument is going to be weak. And nobody is going to believe a weak argument.
An example of begging the question in my life is when I was trying to convince my mom and grandma to get me my first cell phone. I told them that I needed a cell phone for when I had to walk home from school just in case something happened to me and I needed to call somebody. I also said that I needed a cell phone for when I went out with my friends and may have needed to get in contact with them. I also argued that a cell phone was quick and reliable and made it easy for me to keep in touch with them. My argument was strong and believable. The premises of my argument were true and I explained to them why it would be better and safer for me to have a cell phone.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    Your explanation of an argument that begs the question is clear and thorough. I am just a bit confused about your example because it does not seem to be a fallacy. Fallacies are usually bad arguments and are usually irreparable. Your argument about needing a cell phone is strong because of your valid premises. But I do understand how it begs the question because the premises are more plausible than the conclusion. There is no guarantee even with your premises that your mother would buy you a cell phone. But your argument is still good but I don't think that it is a fallacy because it is not irreparable.

    ReplyDelete