Saturday, October 9, 2010

Something I found Interesting and Useful

After reading chapter 6 I found conditionals interesting and useful. I found it useful because they gave examples on what conditionals were. For example they talked about if your instructor told you "If you do well on the final exam, the I'll give you an A in this course. In the example the instructor is not promising to give you an A, its only a conditional promise.
Epstein states that a conditional claim is "a claim is conditional if it can be rewritten as an If....then....claim that must have the same truth-value."
He also states that in a conditional (rewritten as) "Of A, then B, the claim A is the antecedent, and the claim B is the consequent.
I also learned what a contradictory of a conditional If A, then B has contradictory A but not B. The contradictory of a conditional is not another conditional.

No comments:

Post a Comment